Ohio River Electric Railway
A few years have transpired since the line opened. Here's an article, apparently written upon the order of two new cars (12 and 13) that were added to the fleet.
"Ohio River Electric Railway System and Its New Equipment"
The Ohio River Electric Railway and Power Company operated 12 miles of street railway, extending from Middleport, through Pomeroy, Minersville and Syracuse to Racine, Ohio, paralleling the banks of the Ohio River with the towns of Clifton, Mason, Hartford, New Haven and Graham, W. Va., on the opposite side; serving a direct population of 16,000 with a contiguous territory of 10,000 additional.
A unique feature of these towns if that the various corporation lines almost join one another, making it practically one little city the entire distance. The line occupies the well-known Pomeroy Bend, situated in the heart of the beautiful Ohio valley, bordered by precipitous cliffs on one side of the river and the sloping hills of the other, presenting a panorama of scenic beauty rarely surpassed. (Pomeroy) is in the center of one of the largest salt, bromine and calcium producing districts in America; along the lines of the street railway company are extensive coal mining properties, tapping the largest undeveloped body of bituminous coal in the State of Ohio The road was built in 1900, since which time its business has steadily increased; it has been a potent factor in advancing the commercial interests of the community it serves, and has produced in that section an era of prosperity previously unknown. Much attention has been devoted to the development of carload freight business, which has provided to be a very profitable source of revenue. Last year 1934 carloads were moved on its lines by a 17-ton electric locomotive with a draw-bar pull of 4000 lbs., from or to the Hocking Valley Railway Company. In addition there is much local and way freight carried to and from all points on the line. This branch of the business offers almost unlimited possibilities, and its present growth is confined only to the limit of car service obtainable.
A five car passenger schedule is operated with a twenty-minute service between Middleport, Pomeroy and Minersville, through cars running to Syracuse and Racine every hour. In 1905, 911,971 passengers were carried and if the present ratio of increase in maintained the number of passengers carried this year will exceed one million. The power house is located in Pomeroy near the mouth of a coal mine, giving the advantage of very cheap fuel. All machinery is built in duplicate. A 500-volt d.c. system is employed, with ample feeders extending in either direction. The company also does all the municipal and commercial lighting in Pomeroy, which is operated by an a.c. system from the same power house.
|Aside from the cars now being
delivered by the J. G. Brill Company, eleven cars comprise the
rolling-stock equipment for passenger service, all of which are frequently
pressed into use during the summer months. Eight of these cars are of the
Brill make, six being ten-bench open summer cars mounted on No. 21-E
trucks for 27-hp motors, and two closed combination passenger and baggage
cars mounted on "Eureka" maximum traction trucks for 35-hp motors. An
extension of 1 1/2 miles is being built from the present Middleport
terminus of the line, passing Fair View Park and on to Hobson, Ohio, the
junction point of the Hocking Valley & Kanawha and Michigan Railways,
and where is located the large K. & M. shops. This will serve a large
number of shop men, train crews and train passengers, and will also handle
the United states mails and express business, making it the best revenue
producer of any single mile of the road. The new cars will at present be
placed on the through service between Middleport and Racine, but after the
completion of the Hobson extension it is contemplated to operate them
hourly between Hobson and Syracuse, which is the most densely populated
district on the line, and the present twenty-minute service will be
extended to Syracuse.
The type of car illustrated is well suited to the form of interurban service in which passengers are carried comparatively short distances and enter and leave the car from the roadside. The short-base equalized trucks on which the cars are mounted carry the bodies low and at the same time are capable of 35 miles per hour. In the illustration a number of the windows at the rear of the car are raised into the roof pockets, giving a good idea of the openness when all the windows are raised for summer service. One of the excellent features of storing the sash in the roof pockets, which has not frequently been alluded to, is that the glass is not liable to be broken. Attention is directed to the bright and attractive interior and the wide aisle and commodious seats. The exterior width of the car is but 8 ft. 2 ins., while the interior width, measured between the side linings, is 7 ft. 10 ins, allowing the seats to be 35 ins. long and the aisle 22 ins. wide. The seats are of the builders' manufacture, and have push over backs with corner grabhandles. Folding seats in the baggage compartment accommodate smokers when the compartment is not filled with baggage. The length of the car over the bodies is 31 ft.. 8 ins., and over the vestibules 41 ft. 4 ins.
To say the locomotive is diminutive is an understatement. The bell seems to be the most predominant feature. Box cars are interesting as well.
How many roads had a car #13?
Interior of 13, looking toward baggage end. "Commodious" seats indeed!